Thursday, July 30, 2009

Bowstrings shall commence!

Okay, so I finished up enough flax spinning that I can now go into creating bowstrings:




That's 115 of laceweight single in water-retted flax. I'm hoping it's enough for two bowstrings or more, and then do some serving on it to make it shoot-worthy. :)

And on the sock front, I've got a respectable amount of gumdrop sock done at this point!



It's going slower than I'd like... Namely because I've been at work so late lately that I haven't had much time to work on it. But it's looking very nice! I'm about an inch short of starting the toe, so we'll see how it turns out!

Anything leftover is going towards... You guessed it... Booties! :)

2 comments:

Lori said...

Serving? Can you explain more?

textilegeek said...

Serving is a wrapping you do around the string where the arrow gets nocked, so you don't fray the bowstring itself. The serving can be re-wrapped when it wears through.