Saturday, April 4, 2009

Wish I would have stuck with only one...

... So, I finished the second ply of Plume, and put it on my niddy noddy to measure it last night:



Looks good, right?

Wrong. Couple of small problems:
1. WAY too thick for socks. What seemed like a good idea at the time (because the two-ply was somewhat thin and the singles were really thin) turned out to be WAY too thick for socks unless I was going to go for boot socks.
2. WAY too short for socks. I wound up with something just over 111 yards. Needless to say, this will not accomplish a pair of socks.

So, I am currently in the process of UNplying that last ply and bring it back to a two-ply. So the two-ply will be z instead of S, but perhaps it won't be that bad, since it's just socks. It shall be an experiment. I've got Frankenspindle and Do-Not-Drop-II each hanging on one of the two-ply sections of the four-ply yarn, while the 4-ply is hanging off my cocobolo plying spindle.





As you can see, I took the extra rubber band off Frankie. The rubber band was making the two plies stick to each other too much.





Would you believe that un-plying takes ten times longer than plying does? *sigh* At least the damage can be undone.

I'm alternating between pulling the plys apart and then spinning each side up on its respective spindle, and allowing the two cut-out spindles to dance around each other, spinning themselves out. It's faster the first way, but prettier the second. :)

So on the other hand, I'm also working on the Challenge Yarn for April, Celebrate!



One thing about this yarn... I'm having to do a LOT of park and draft. This will be the first time I'm trying to do supercoils, and I'm not even sure if I've done it right, I may have to let a lot of the current energy untwist from it before I do the ply around the core yarn. I need to go look up a bit more on how to do this before I finish the second ply. Right now it's looking pretty good, thoguh! This is the first time I've been able to clear more than 3oz of yarn in less than 24 hours, and it's a really thick one!







Yes, this is *super* energized. I mean *REALLY* super-energized. I want to see what I'm going to get out of this one... I want to actually make a necklace out of what I get. :) We'll see just how much it yields! I've seen people go from 60 yards to 11 when they do supercoils!

No comments: